Apocynum androsaemifolium Health effects and herbal facts
bitter-root common dogbane spreading dogbane
Apocynum androsaemifolium is a flowering plant. It is common and widespread across most of the United States, Canada, and NE Mexico.
Milky sap appears on broken stems. Leaf margin is entire and leaf venation is alternate. Its leaves appear as pointed ovals, while its flowers appear terminally on a stalk.
The plant is poisonous, and should not be confused with milkweed, which is also poisonous due to the cardiac glycosides it contains. Compared to milkweed, dogbane has branching stems, hairs on the underside of the leaves, and no hair on the stems.
Apocynum androsaemifolium subsp. androsaemifolium - E Canada, W United States
Apocynum androsaemifolium var. griseum Bég. & Belosersky - Ontario, British Columbia, Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, Indiana, Michigan
Apocynum androsaemifolium var. incanum A.DC. - widespread in Canada, United States, NE Mexico
Apocynum androsaemifolium var. intermedium Woodson - Colorado
Apocynum androsaemifolium subsp. pumilum B.Boivin - British Columbia, Washington State, Oregon, Idaho, California, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Nevada
Apocynum androsaemifolium var. tomentellum B.
Economic importance of Apocynum androsaemifolium
- NORTHERN AMERICA
- Subarctic America: Canada - Northwest Territory, Yukon Territory
- Eastern Canada: Canada - New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec
- Western Canada: Canada - Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan
- Northeastern U.S.A.: United States - Connecticut, Indiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia
- North-Central U.S.A.: United States - Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wisconsin
- Northwestern U.S.A.: United States - Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington
- Southeastern U.S.A.: United States - Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia , Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina , South Carolina , Tennessee, Virginia
- South-Central U.S.A.: United States - New Mexico, Texas
- Southwestern U.S.A.: United States - Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah